It's the time of year when I start making home made soups and chili. I love to start with a recipe and make it my own, or make it even better in most cases. My version of minestrone soup is like Minestrone and Vegetable soup in one. It's easy, fast, and yummy! Hope you like it!
Tip: Emeril's Organic soup stock is the best I've ever used. It's worth the extra $1 to have a better tasting soup. Since trying it I won't use anything else.
- 1 lb of chicken sausage. Cut the casings open and remove sausage. Discard casings. Break up sausage into small pieces.
- 1 small sweet onion (Vidalia) - chopped fine
- 32 oz box Emeril's Organic Beef Stock (you won't be sorry)
- 1 cup Red Cooking Wine (any brand)
- 1 28 oz. can Crushed Tomatoes w/basil
- 1 15 oz. can Kidney Beans - drain and rinse
- 1 10 oz package Frozen Corn
- 1 10 oz package Frozen Mixed Vegetables (or substitute frozen green beans)
- 1 15 oz can Whole White Potatoes - drain, rinse, and cube
- 2 small Fresh Zucchini - wash, cut into small pieces
- 2 cups Baby Shells Pasta #46 or your fav soup pasta
Substitute vegetable stock and leave out the sausage.
Add an extra can of kidney beans or white beans.
- 2 tsp. Dried Basil
- 2 tsp. Dried Parsley
- 1 tsp. Salt
- 1/2 tsp. Black Pepper
Note: When is the last time you bought spices? Most spices have a shelf life of a year or less. If your spices have been in the cabinet since last Winter, (or longer), do yourself a favor and purchase a new Basil and a Parsley.
- In a Dutch Oven or large pot on medium heat, lightly brown the sausage.
- Add chopped onion; cook 2 more minutes (do not brown onion).
- Add beef broth, tomatoes, wine, and all the spices.
- Add the kidney beans, frozen corn, frozen veggies, cubed potatoes.
- Bring to a boil.
- Reduce heat to simmer. Add zucchini.
- Simmer for 1 to 2 hours, or until zucchini is translucent and cooked.
In a separate pot cook pasta al dente per the package directions. Rinse with cold water to stop the cooking process.
Add the pasta to the soup just before serving.
Spoon individual servings into containers and freeze for home made soup any time.
Let me know how you like it.
©2008-2017 Gwen Sager - All rights reserved. No portion of this recipe may be copied or used without the written permission of the copyright holder. This recipe is for personal use and cannot be used for commercial purposes without written consent of the copyright holder. Photos are property of Gwen Sager.